Monday 10 August 2015

Got what I came for.



“I used to be pessimistic but now I find optimism a much better option.” So read the blurb for Bob Brown’s talk at the Bendigo Writer’s Festival. What was it about these words that caught my eye?

I am in the last semester of a bachelor degree and I have learnt many things about the world; history, social justice, how to think clearly and present an argument and why our society behaves in certain ways. I have also learnt about the degradation and destruction of the environment, climate change, poverty and injustice. There is a scene in one of my favourite movies, The fifth element, where the fifth element is being fed the world history alphabetically. At the point she reaches W she begins to become unwell. There are times when I feel like the fifth element, I feel the weight of the knowledge that I have learnt and I am not sure where to file it and sometimes I do feel unwell. I thought maybe Bob Brown would have a meaningful message for me.


There were three other featured events, all of which looked equally interesting. But I had to make a decision, I could not attend them all. I love food and ‘The Good Life’ with the Gourmet Farmers interested me when I saw the mention of cheese, as I am a cheese maker myself. Tariq Ali and ‘Beyond Extreme’, and the promise of discussion about change was something else that caught my eye. In order to tackle all the above mentioned issues, change is needed. Then there was ‘Inspired by life’, John Wolseley and John Clarke. I have admired John Wolseley’s work for many years. How did I make a decision?

I felt I could afford two, Bob Brown definitely and John Wolseley and John Clarke. Then I discovered to my joy that as a Writer in Action I had a ticket to Tariq Ali. How exciting to get to go to three of the featured events. THEN I had a message from a great friend of mine, he had won two tickets to the Gourmet Farmers and wondered if I would care to join him. Yes, perfect.

These four events each had a strong message which, when put together, has given me exactly what I hoped for. Bob Brown spoke of our right to be optimistic because we do not know what the future holds. Pessimism will not help to solve any problems, it is our optimism and action that can bring about change. He spoke of the bright eyed youngsters that he encounters and the optimism this instills in him. Tariq Ali had a message of hope. He spoke of hope as an active emotion which will bring about change, hope being the opposite to despair which is passive. Tariq Ali believed that people have not given up the struggle for something better. John Wolseley and John Clarke introduced the beauty of the natural environment and the creative energy that it inspires, which in turn inspires people to develop a care for it. So creativity was introduced as a way to bring about change. Finally the Gourmet Farmers. Their message was that to live well involves eating fresh locally sourced products. Bringing food back to seasonal and local will reduce dependence on fossil fuels and contribute to a healthier environment.

Optimism, hope, creativity and good food. These are the building blocks of the good life. Bob Brown added that better to “Put problems you can’t solve on the shelf and work with the ones you can.” He also said “dance and find loving partners”. So I shall sally forth in the world with hope for a good meal made with loving creativity while I shelve all the not so good food, (no I think I am not getting this quite right. Maybe I will try again).

I shall sally forth optimistically hoping for a creative dance before I am on the shelf? (hmm, maybe that is not right either).

I shall sally forth in the world loving creativity and dancing with those that I can? (I like the sound of that one).

So with optimism and hope I will sally forth in the world, dancing and loving, between eating the freshest food and solving the problems that are not on my shelf. Yes!! I have gleaned some wisdom to ponder and direct me in the days to come. Thank you thinkers, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment