Thursday 13 August 2015

Gifts from my Dad

I came across a fifty dollar note in a draw in my Dad’s den one day, many years after he had died. He would have stashed it there to exchange for currency from a foreign country so he could purchase seeds. He explained the reason for this to me once, I can’t remember exactly why currency was needed. Anyway Mum said I could keep it and so I put it in an envelope where I intended to keep it for a special occasion.

Flap were playing at the Theatre Royale and it portended to be a good night of dancing. Feeling broke and stingy I decided to wait till I was paid, and purchase my ticket if there were any left. Till I remembered Dad’s fifty dollar note. I went down and bought that ticket and took myself out dancing till midnight. The music was for dancing, the crowd was out for a good time and the band were up to it. So thirty dollars down and I still had another twenty left to spoil myself.

Looking through the list of events at the Bendigo Writers festival I was keen to go to a couple of ticketed events, Bob Brown for inspiration and John Wolseley because I have loved his art forever. Again, feeling that inherent stinginess, I thought to only go to the free sessions, that is, until I remembered the money from my Dad! Straight away I took the money down to the bank, rushed back home and booked my tickets. What pleasure I had anticipating the talks. I think the anticipating was even better than the actual thing. How grateful I am.

Thanks Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment