Monday 10 August 2015

What is a day for?

“What is a day for?” Robert Desaix asked and I pondered this as I rode to the station in the cold, my fingers and toes numb, the drip on my nose threatening to fall and decorate my coat. What is a day for? He was discussing his new book that relates his hospital experience after a heart attack. 

As he lay waiting for the ambulance the young medic with the golden forearms had asked him if he had had a good day, which set him to musing on the question of what is a day for? Tariq Ali as a young university student in Lahore had spent his days reading and discussing Marxism and the merits of the communist system. He has spent a lifetime of days learning and supporting leftist politics. How would he answer the question of what is a day for? Bob Brown gave a clue of what his answer would be. After talking about his desire to save the Tarkine wilderness area from logging and his support for the Sea Sheppard in their endeavours to prevent the killing of whales, he suggested that a life well lived would involve dancing and a loving partner. John Wolseley spends his day being creative, would that be his answer to what is a day for?


But for me, what is a day for? What is a day for? For being alive? Yes. For loving as hard as I can? Yes. For dancing as often as possible? Yes. For kindness, for fun, learning and pondering, for taking action when I can for a better world, for struggling and straining up the hills, for riding down the other side fast, with the wind in my hair, for feeling the rain on my face and my fingers numb inside their gloves and knowing I am alive, I’m alive.


Oh yes, and for writing of course!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment