Monday 10 August 2015

The emergence of General Pau

My mum called, “Have you got my copy of ‘The complete works of Alan Marshall?’”
“No, why?”
“I want to read ‘How I met General Pau’ to Ellen.”
“It is probably in Ellen’s room. Last time I was there I was going to read ‘General Pau’ to her.” 

(Ellen had a particularly bad tooth ache and needed some therapeutic words.)

Life can be uncanny at times. I was at the Bendigo Writers Festival and that very day I was going to see John Wolseley whom I have admired for a very long time, who, I have even said out loud, is possibly my all-time favourite artist. I had been terribly excited to be going to this event. John Wolseley’s work and words for me are inspirational, I like the honest approach he takes to his art. I like the way he connects with the landscape he is depicting, physically and creatively. I like the notes he puts on his work, threads of his musings and observations of the places he is painting. I like that the detail and the abstract merge together to form one piece and I especially like the way he connects many pieces of paper together to form one large collage. I like his conservation philosophies and his commitment to the environment.

I had been thinking about this event which I was anticipating with such excitement and every so often the thought occurred to me that sometimes when one meets with a figure they have admired from afar that the reality does not always match. I am capable of filling in the gaps that I don’t know about people with embellishments of my own imagination, usually in a vision that suits my own sense of things worthy of admiration. I don’t tend to do it specifically, but in a soft general cloudy way like an aura that surrounds this person and encourages me to think that should I meet them, that I would really like them.

The emergence of General Pau was rather serendipitous because in this story the young Alan Marshall rides to a nearby town to hear General Pau speak. He knew about Generals, they were characters of action and he was keen to listen to a real live one. To his disappointment General Pau did not live up to his expectations. It is one of my favourite Alan Marshall stories and I like the way it has surfaced at this point of my life and I am not sure if I should ride my horse into the theatre so I can make a windy exit from John Wolseley’s talk if I too find my expectations dashed. (You may have to read the story to understand this reference.)


Post script: Ellen called later and reported no ease to her painful mouth, but that grandmas reading of General Pau had calmed and lulled her to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment